10 Things I'm glad I did before getting married
My six year wedding anniversary is coming up and like any significant marking of time, it's got me thinking. It's got me thinking of marriage, it's got me thinking of my life before marriage. It's got me thinking of things I've done wrong and things I've done right. It's also put a smile on my face because I'm thinking of all the things I'm glad I did before marriage. Now, I won't bore you with every single thing I'm glad I did before getting married, but I am going to share the top 10 things I'm glad I got out of the way before committing to the man who was crazy enough to marry me six years ago and is crazy enough to still love me now.
Read more ¿Qué más?: 10 Secrets to make your marriage last forever
- I'm glad enjoyed the company of other suitors. Yes, not all of the romantic relationships I had before getting married were great, but at one point or another they made me feel great.
- I'm glad had sex before getting married. I didn't get married until I was 36 and there is no way I could have waited that long to have sex.
- I'm glad I had my heart broken. More than once I was hurt, but I learned that I could survive and that I could go on to love again.
- I'm glad I broke some hearts. I had to be the one to break hearts sometimes and it taught me to listen to my gut and not stay in a relationship that wasn't "it" for me.
- I'm glad I fooled around with people I didn't love. Judge me all you want, but it was fun and it also made me realize that no matter what it's always more fun with someone you love.
- I'm glad I put up with crap. Oh yeah, I was mistreated and cheated on and I put up with it, but eventually I left and it made me realize that I deserve so much more.
- I'm glad I was single. There was a period I went from boyfriend to boyfriend and then I took a break. I dated, but didn't get in a relationship for a while and it was truly liberating to enjoy my own company and do as I like with whomever I liked.
- I'm glad that I behaved like a total idiot over a guy. It was embarrassing and shameful and I got it out of my system.
- I'm glad I dated men that were older than me. I was so young and dating a "man" seemed so exciting at the time.
- I'm glad I let myself date one guy that seemed WAY too young for me because he ended up becoming my husband.
I really am glad for all the experiences I had before marriage because they helped me know myself and choose my spouse wisely.
Image via Thinkstock