1-year-old found dead after drinking liquid nicotine

Electronic cigarettes or e-cigarettes are becoming more and more popular, but those who use them are going to have to be much more careful now that the first child's death from liquid nicotine has been reported. An unfortunate 1-year-old child has died after ingesting the substance used in these e-cigarettes and although police consider it a "tragic accident," it's obvious more needs to be done to prevent further tragedies.

Advertisement

Read more ¿Qué más?: Mom kills 6-week-old baby with drugged breastmilk

Few details are known about what happened in this case, except that the baby was found unresponsive in his home in upstate New York and was pronounced dead after being taken to the hospital. How tragic! I can't even imagine what the baby's parents must be going through. 

The biggest concern with liquid nicotine is that it can come in different flavors and colors, which health officials believe children could confuse with candy. 

"One teaspoon of liquid nicotine could be lethal to a child, and smaller amounts can cause severe illness, often requiring trips to the emergency department," said the American Association of Poison Control centers in a statement Friday. But there's nothing in place as of right now that requires manufacturers to child-proof their products. 

Ironically, Gov. Andrew Cuomo will sign a bill passed earlier this year that will require liquid nicotine to come in child resistant containers--a move that could've potentially saved this baby's life had it been implemented earlier. 

I hope this poor baby's death as well as the rapid and continuous rise in the number of dangerous exposures to liquid nicotine will serve as a wake up call for legislators nationwide to pass similar bills to the one that will be signed into law in New York. And I also hope that this tragic case makes parents who use e-cigarettes much more careful about handling liquid nicotine around children. 

Image via Thinkstock

Topics: death  tragedy  child