Baby seriously burned when fireworks land inside playpen

fireworksA 4-month-old baby was severely burned after fireworks shot into her playpen Friday night. Little Aubree McCormick of Youngstown, Ohio was hanging out on her family's front porch on the 4th of July, minding her own business, when the neighbor's 10-year-old kicked over a lit tubular firework and it landed on the baby. ¡Qué horror!


Read more ¿Qué más?: Woman lived with mom's dead body for over a year

She was flown via helicopter to the burn unit at Akron Children's Hospital where she is still being treated for first, second, and third degree burns on her face and hands. Her abuela, Carol McCormick, also injured her fingers trying to rescue Aubree from the flames.

"All I could do was just react," McCormick told WFMJ-TV. "I didn't think. I reacted. I grabbed hold of the firework and then the bed caught on fire that she was laying in."

First of all, why is a 10-year-old handling fireworks unsupervised?! Were his or her parents around when they were playing with them? And if so, why didn't they take extra precautions to contain the fireworks? People have no common sense, I swear.

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, about 11,400 people visited emergency rooms for fireworks-related injuries in summer 2013. More than half of those injuries were burns and about 40 percent of those were injured were children younger than 15 years old. Ohio is one of five states that only allow sparklers and novelty fireworks like ground spinners, fountains, and party poppers.

With all the stories of limbs being blown off and faces being burned, I know my kids are staying far and away from all explosives. But then you can't control freak accidents like these where you're nowhere near the action and tragedy still makes its way over. This poor child's face was seriously burned because of her neighbor's irresponsibility and will now be subjected to a painful recovery just for a few hours of fun.

Image via Taylor W/Flickr

Topics: baby  in the news  kids  news  parenting fail