V. Stiviano: 6 things to know about the Latina at the center of the Donald Sterling scandal
In the days since the tape capturing Donald Sterling's racist comments was leaked to the media, the Clippers owner has (rightly) received intense scrutiny, a lifetime ban from the NBA and $2.5 million fine--and he owes it all to his own girlfriend, V. Stiviano.
As was heard in the captured audio, an Instagram photo Stiviano posted of her and Magic Johnson prompted Sterling's disciminatory remarks. But what else do we know about the 31-year-old half-Mexican woman at the center of the controversy? Below, check out six things to know about Stiviano:
Read more ¿Qué más?: Donald Sterling: NBA legends & President Obama respond to racist leaked tapes
- Her name wasn't always V. Maybe now she's known by a single letter, but according to legal documents, she was born by Maria Vanessa Perez. The L.A. Times says Stiviano has also gone by Monica Gallegos, Vanessa Perez, and Maria Valdez. In 2010, she legally changed her name because she said she had not been "fully accepted because of my race." She also reportedly underwent extensive plastic surgery to change her looks.
- She was raised in a San Antonio, Texas. The Daily Mail claims that her mother, Martha Perez, struggled to make ends meet and was once convicted of using her own children to steal from a supermarket. Stiviano moved to Los Angeles before she graduated high school and coincidentally ended up attending the same school as both Sterling and his wife.
- She wasn't the one to leak the tapes to TMZ…or so she says. But she was the one to record them and reportedly has up to 100 hours worth of conversations between herself and Sterling, some of which are extremely damaging to his reputation. She allegedly told friends that Sterling knew he was being recorded because he frequently forgot what he said and the tapes refreshed his memory
- She's currently being sued by Sterling's wife, Rochelle. In the lawsuit filed last month, Rochelle Sterling, who married Donald in 1957, claims Stiviano seduced her husband with her " feminine wiles" and cheated him out of tons of money. The wife alleges that after Sterling met Stiviano at the 2010 Super Bowl in Miami, he gave her a Ferrari, two Bentleys, a Range Rover, a $1.8 million duplex and more than $250,000 cash.
- She could soon be an author. She's tagged a bunch of her photos on Instagram with the hashtags "#RandomHouse" and "#Simon&Schuster," the names of large publishing companies and is reportedly planning to pen a book "about life," but not about Sterling (riiight...).
- She wants to be President?! "One day, I will become President of the United States of America, and I will change the legislation and laws," Stiviano told KABC-TV recently while roller blading outside of her apartment. "Modern day history. Civil rights movement." OK then!
Image via V. Stiviano/Instagram