SEE: 96-year-old abuelo finds shocking surprise in his birthday cake

birthday cakeImagine you are celebrating your birthday and you are about to cut the cake to share among your family and friends. Suddenly you see something that looks strange baked inside of it, only to find out it's something COMPLETELY unsanitary. It sounds like a practical joke gone wrong, but in reality this happened to a 96-year-old Long Island abuelo.

The viejito, Joe Valente, bought a pre-made cake at supermarket King Kullen in Suffolk County, but you'll NEVER believe the unexpected surprise he received. YUCK!


Read more ¿Qué más?: Check out the GROSSEST stuff people have found in their food

Valente purchased a German apple-ring cake that he says tasted funny when he bit into it. Little did he know that upon observing his dessert, there was a line of what appeared to be of black mold. When he observed the cake closer, he noticed that what he thought was mold was really a RAT'S TAIL. Yes, I kid you not, there was part of a rodent baked into his delicious treat!

rat's tailThe worst part is he didn't realize he was biting into a 5-inch rat tail until he bit into the slice of cake and noticed it tasted strange. The tail was still attached to part of the rat's body when he uncovered the remainder of the cake. Luckily Valente did not get food poisioning from ingesting the tainted cake, but he reported it to his family lawyer.

The attorney, Ed Yule, claims that he believes that the cake was tampered with, but the supermarket says it was an accident. In a statement, King Kullen denied having responsibilty:

We took immediate steps as a precautionary measure. Product has been removed from the bakery and the premises have undergone a thorough inspection. There are no known safety or rodent issues in this bakery department and it is in good standing with all Department of Agriculture inspections.

The popular chain says it is also cooperating with any form of investigation it must go through, but that doesn't change the fact that a poor old man bit into their infested cake!

I would have flipped out if something like this happened to me because it's simply disgusting. What if the man had suffered from a serious condition and ingesting the tainted cake could have killed him? The supermarket would have been in even more trouble than it is now. It makes you want to think twice before you bite into any food you eat that isn't homemade. As a matter of fact, I think I'll bake my own birthday cakes from now on!

Images via Thinkstock, ABC News

Topics: crazy news  crazy  desserts  mystery  lawsuit  investigation