8 Kids hospitalized after using super popular body spray!
Back when I was in middle school it was Old Spice--the boys would douse themselves heavily in the stuff to cover up the smell of sweat and hormones that inevitably comes with puberty. It was always a combination of smells that I detested and still to do this day, when I get a whiff of that unmistakable fragrance, the odor floods through my memory. Thankfully, the extent of the damage ends there, which apparently, is not the case for a group of sixth graders that ended up in the hospital after being exposed to an excessive amount of Axe body spray at their Brooklyn school on Wednesday.
Read more ¿Qué más?: How to protect your kids from this deadly item that is in your house right now
Eight students at the Medgar Evers Preparatory School were rushed to the hospital by EMS after being exposed to the spray, which is marketed as a way for men to attract the attention of the opposite sex. Two other students were seen by family doctors. The school was temporarily shut down after the incident and is investigating the events and considering possible disciplinary action.
While it's not at all funny that kids got sick and ended up in the hospital, I have to admit that I'm kind of amused by the attempts of pubescent boys. This whole thing seems sort of definitive of those super-awkward pre-high-school years. I mean really, when I picture it in my head it plays out like a comedy of errors turned rather serious.
Anyway, I know that personally I only use artificial fragrances on special occasions. I have a toddler and I try to minimize his exposure to harmful chemicals, which most of us know to be present in perfumes and colognes, not to mention the dangers of anything sprayed from an aerosol can, which emit VOCs and contribute to global warming. So parents of tweens and teens, be warned, your kiddos may actally be endangering themselves and others with their scent obsessions.
Image via Thinkstock
Do you let your kids use products like Axe?