Boston bombing suspect is awake & responding to questions in writing (VIDEO)
After days of being hospitalized in critical condition, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has reportedly regained consciousness and is answering questions in writing, a law enforcement official said Sunday.
The 19-year-old has been recovering from a severe throat wound that left him unable to speak, after getting taken into custody last Friday. But now, it looks like police could finally be getting some of the answers they've been looking for.
According to several news outlets, investigators are eager to question the only surviving suspect and find out whether he and his brother (who was killed last week during a firefight with police) had planted more bombs or were part of a larger terror cell.
Read more ¿Qué más?: Boston Marathon bombing suspects: Everything we know so far (PHOTOS)
Multiple handguns, a rifle, and at least six homemade bombs were recovered from the scene of Friday morning's shootout that ended with Tsarnaev's older brother, Tamerlan's, death. "We have reason to believe, based upon the evidence that was found at that scene--the explosions, the explosive ordnance that was unexploded and the firepower that they had--that they were going to attack other individuals," Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said earlier Sunday.
It is unclear whether Tsarnaev received his throat injury during the exchange of fire with police or if it was a self-inflicted wound from a failed suicide attempt. Now that his condition has stabilized, authorities are looking to find out more of what could've prompted the teen and his brother to carry out such a deadly crime.
For the sake of the investigation, I hope cops are able to thoroughly interrogate him and garner as much information as possible—and hopefully sooner, rather than later. The quicker they get through their questioning, the sooner they can bring charges against Tsarnaev and bring him to justice.
Image via FBI