Welcome to the Latino States of America!
Guess what, U.S.A.? Latinos are coming to get you and your kids. Be afraid, be very afraid. No come on, not really! Okay, maybe a little bit really. Latinos will soon outnumber Anglos in California, but that's no big surprise, right? This change or evolution (shall we say) has been coming for a very long time. Huffington Post put out a piece entitled 10 Latino Things Your Kids Will Do As Hispanic Populations Boms.
Do I agree with the list? Sure, why not. But obviously, it is written for those with non-Latino kids because those of us who grew up as Latino kids or are raising Latino kids, well we already know what Latino kids are doing, so it seems only fair that someone in the know, like me adds to the list.
Read more ¿Qué más?: 10 Ways Latinos use & abuse Vicks VapoRub
I grew up Latina in California and from where I was raised, it always seemed to me that Latinos outnumbered Anglos. I guess, it's all a matter of perspective. So my non-Latino friends, I share with you this list of the Latino things your kids will be doing so that you are not caught off guard.
- Your child will be sick and tell you the only thing that will help with her congestion is if you rub Vaporub on her feet. And she'll be right.
- You child will know how to pronounce jicama and will ask you to buy some at your next trip to the supermarket even if you have no idea what it is.
- The next time you make a fuit sald, your child will say, "Mom, you forgot to add the chile and limon."
- Your kids will look at you blankly when you ask them to hand you the pork rinds. Finally, you'll give in and say, "chicharrones."
- Your kids will wonder why you insist on packing them homemade egg muffin sandwiches for breakfast when all they really want is an egg burrito, wrapped in an empty Roman Meal bread bag.
Get your piñatas ready my friends, your kids are about to go all Latino on you!
Image via Thinkstock