Baby with feather in her neck is out of danger after doctors make weird discovery

New parents do everything they can to protect their babies, so when something appears seemingly wrong, most panic.  Take for instance Aaron and Emma Whittington of Kansas who became alarmed when their 7-month-old daughter, Mya, started developing golf ball sized swelling below her jaw.

Originally they assumed it was a pimple and took her to the doctor, where she was diagnosed with a simple infection. But it turned out to NOT be a pimple and was something unfathomable...

Advertisement

It turns out what had caused the swelling was a two-inch long black feather stuck underneath Mya's skin. The baby's pediatrician explained that Mya may have ingested or inhaled the feather. The feather then pierced the inside of her cheek or throat causing the body to force it out of her little body during the last couple of months. AH!

Read more ¿Qué más?: Crazy dad carves pentagram into 6-year-old son's back in honor of 12/12/12

I can't imagine how scary it must be to see your baby with a weird ailment, and then being told it's something simple, when you know that it's something more. Parents do everything to protect our kids, and when they get sick it's like the whole world collapses. But these parents and doctors were in for the shock of a lifetime when they saw what really had been bothering baby Mya.

The pediatrician initially thought that Mya had a staph infection on her lymph nodes after being brought back the second time with a "pimple" on her swollen jaw. Meanwhile, the parents assumed the child had been teething or suffering from an ear infection since she had been pulling on the left side of her face for awhile. When the doctor finally drained the area, that's when a mysterious stick--which turned out to be a feather!--appeared. The Whittingtons say that it may have come from a pillow on their bed.

Although the feather was extracted, Mya may have to get surgery because of a 4 centimeter knot that developed on her jaw. She would have to get the procedure done only if it doesn't go away on its own.

I'm sure any parent who went through what these parents have gone through would have freaked out too. It's strange that something as harmless as a pillow could've caused this baby so much pain and discomfort. I'm glad to hear that Mya is better now, but I can see parents avoiding placing their babies on a down pillow after this.

Hopefully she will fully recuperate and not have to get the surgery, but her story should make mamás and daddies think twice about where they leave their infant.

Image via Emma Whittington/ Facebook

Topics: babies  children's health  crazy  health