MLB Draft pick Carlos Correa has already made history and 5 other things you should know about him! (VIDEO)
Latino shortstop Carlos Correa made baseball history at last night's Major League Baseball draft. The 17-year-old (so young!) was the number one pick to go to the Astros and he made sure to pay homage to his background, waving a small Puerto Rican flag as he walked into the podium. Though the night was only the beginning of what is sure to be a long and glorious career full of equally proud moments, we thought we'd celebrate the occasion by presenting you with 5 things you didn't know about the world's newest athletic star!
- Though Puerto Rico has produced plenty of amazing players from Roberto Clemente to Carlos Delgado, Correa is the first ever player from the country to become the top pick. Before him, catcher Ramon Castro had been the highest-drafted player out of Puerto Rico, going No. 17 to Houston in 1994.
- Correa is getting a lot of comparisons to uber-prospect Manny Machado for his frame, hitting ability, and power potential. Machado is currently ranked #14 by Baseball America.
- His favorite player is Derek Jeter…and they share similarities already with both coming in at a lanky 6'4.
- Correa used to work long days at the Puerto Rico Baseball Academy, rising at 5 a.m. and not getting home until after 6 p.m., at which time he would do extra work with his dad, a construction worker also named Carlos.
- His fellow Puerto Rican players are already proud of him! Delgado shared his feelings on Twitter, writing, "A page of history is going to get written today. #CarlosCorrea got picked number 1#MLBDraft2012." And Hall of Famer Roberto Alomar also took to the social media site, tweeting "@MLB @astros Congrats in being first pick. Real proud of you, I wish you continued success...eres un orgullo para puerto rico."
Alomar is right, Correa definitely is un orgullo for the whole Latino community. We are so proud!
What do you think of Correa's accomplishment? Tell us in the comments below!
Image via Astros/twitter